There has been a flurry of activity on the Zotero forums around the
handling of name particles. The citeproc-js processor is being too
aggressive about forcing capitals on particles, and the lack of
control has caused frustration to users.
Discussion has led to a possible solution. It is simple to describe,
but after implementing it in the processor, I find that it causes
quite a few of the existing tests to break. I have made a tentative
checkin of changes to the affected tests, so that they can be reviewed
by the group.
The rules applied in the proposal are:
(1) The first character of a name particle in first position on the
first-listed name in a bibliography is force to a capital letter.
(2) A particle not in first position is always forced to lowercase.
Three new tests provide a compact illustration of the behaviour:
(The ParticleCaps3 test includes a quote-escaped family name, to bind
the name particle as part of the name itself. If quote-escaping of off
the map of the specification, I can remove that data from the test.)
The affected tests are linked below. If members of the group have time
to review them, it would be a great help.