Handling Non-standard Name Variables in CSL for Japanese Citations

Hello everyone,

I am new to this community and have been working on creating CSL-style files and related tools for Japanese citations. I have published my initial attempts at the following links:

In Japanese citation styles, there are non-standard Name Variables such as translation-supervisor, supervisor-editor-author, editor-author, etc. I understand that proposing these complex, localized variations to be part of the standard might not be ideal. Instead, my goal is to develop styles that can accommodate these irregular Name Variables in a straightforward manner.

Currently, I am considering using extra fields (i.e., note) in Zotero, as supported by citeproc-js through the “Cheater Syntax”. This would allow me to specify non-standard Name Variables such as translation-supervisor.

[
  {
    "note": "translation-supervisor: Smith || John\ntranslation-supervisor: Morgan || Casey",
    "type": "book"
  }
]

While this solution functions as a workaround (only for the first translation-supervisor item), I would appreciate any suggestions for more effective approaches. Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,
Shigeru Kobayashi

That’s the only way to add variables that don’t exit in CSL to a style – it’s obvously not ideal (because it only works in citeproc-js and it’s not valid CSL), but I don’t see any alternative to what you’re doing in the current framework.

Thank you very much for your reply. As a workaround, I’ll use the way to handle local name variables in extra fields. I was happy to confirm that my idea was not ideal but understandable.