We’re having a problem that manifests in the APA style. Attached is the JSON that has 51 authors. The output we’re getting is:
A00, A., A01, B., A02, C., A03, D., A04, E., A05, F., … A09, J. (2010). Modelling the Species Distribution of Flat-Headed Cats (Prionailurus planiceps), an Endangered South-East Asian Small Felid. PLoS ONE, 5(3), e9612. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0009612
You can see that the last author is listed as “A09”, which is really the tenth author in the list.
If I reduce the number of authors by one, then it works correctly.
Is this a known bug?
Building 45, 4AN36D-12
The processor chops author lists to the maximum of all et-al-min
values plus two, as a protection against massive author lists. It’s
currently a straight chop of the list, and that should trigger this
Oddly, though, I couldn’t get the bug to manifest in the citeproc-js
test framework, when rendering a bibliography with this input data and
the APA style. The cause of the failure (to fail) turned out to be a
separate bug, introduced at processor tag 1.0.506, that caused author
truncation to be completely bypassed in bibliography rendering.
I’ve pinned down the bug, and it will be fixed shortly, but I’m
puzzled as to why we’ve gotten different results in the initial
testing. Was this triggered with the latest processor version?
Was this triggered with the latest processor version?
Probably not. I’m using citeproc-java 0.6, which includes a distribution
of citeproc-js. I’m not sure which — I checked the source citeproc.js
file, but didn’t see a version number inside it.–
It looks like citeproc-java was last updated seven months ago. You
should be able to drop in a recent version, together with the XML
parser (xmldom.js etc) if it’s used by citeproc-java.
If you want to drop in a new citeproc-js version you need to rebuild
citeproc-java from source. However, this should be fairly easy. Just
follow the instructions in the README. Let me know if you need assistance.
Thanks, gentleman. Building with a later version of citeproc-js seems to
have fixed this. When I built citeproc-java, it grabbed citeproc-js
Building 45, 4AN36D-12
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try to release a new version of
citeproc-java as soon as possible.
The latest tag is 1.0.559, which incorporates some important changes
to names handling discussed in another thread: