Upcoming CSL meetup context

First of all, I’d really would like not to freeze CSL and see it evolving. But we could freeze CSL 1, and make a fresh start with CSL 2.0 while keeping CSL 1 around to keep the vast amount of available styles usable. Maybe we could still add the intext feature to a version of CSL 1 as this is more or less already there.

As I’ve said in the meeting I think the current release model entails a number of drawbacks. I’m still unsure if there are good and practical alternatives, but I wanted to post them before I forget.

Would regular (yearly?) releases be an option?

Instead of aiming for a complete release we could release whatever we have a certain time. E.g. once a year in August. Or maybe every other year in August. A comment period could then start in January before the next release.

CSL → meta-CSL ?

Right now, the CSL operates on a number of different levels. E.g., adding a new term is totally different from adding a new citation mode. Maybe we could make the distinction more explicit. CSL in terms of a DSL could specify that there are terms, variables of certain types (names, dates, etc.), but not what these things are. That could then be specified elsewhere. Also, processors could perhaps just pull in such a list from somewhere instead maintaining a list of variables themselves. Terms and variable only updates would then be much easier.

Add a beta channel for new features

Could we add a say beta channel to try out new features. Of course, these would have to be implemented somewhere by someone. We could then try out new stuff and codify afterwards if things work out.

Make the language more powerful on a lower level

Instead of adding complex features, we could give users more power to make certain things themselves, e.g. with additional testing features.

1 Like