editors in APA

Hi all,

I am scratching my head on a specific detail of the APA style and how it is supposed to work with the CSL specifications.

The <layout> for the <bibliography> includes those 2 elements (among others):

<text macro="author"/>
      <text macro="container-contributors"/>

First of all, since the author macro has a <substitute> element that falls back to editor, and since the container-contributors calls for the editor variable, there is a potential for a duplicated output of the editors.

Now, I also see that the container-contributors macro only really output the editors for chapters and paper-conference. Given the name of the macro, I suppose it’s expected to output the editors of the ‘container’ item, which would be the book or the conference.

Could one of you clarify how it’s supposed to be handled, per the specs, or per some other type-specific implementation of the editor variable for chapters?

Thanks!

Charles–
Charles Parnot
@Charles_Parnot
twitter: @cparnot

Hi all,

I am scratching my head on a specific detail of the APA style and how it is supposed to work with the CSL specifications.

The <layout> for the <bibliography> includes those 2 elements (among others):

<text macro="author"/>
     <text macro="container-contributors"/>

First of all, since the author macro has a <substitute> element that falls back to editor, and since the container-contributors calls for the editor variable, there is a potential for a duplicated output of the editors.

Now, I also see that the container-contributors macro only really output the editors for chapters and paper-conference. Given the name of the macro, I suppose it’s expected to output the editors of the ‘container’ item, which would be the book or the conference.

Could one of you clarify how it’s supposed to be handled, per the specs, or per some other type-specific implementation of the editor variable for chapters?

Variables rendered via cs:substitute are suppressed through the rest
of the cite.

Variables rendered via cs:substitute are suppressed through the rest of the cite.

Ah, thanks for that. I see it in the specs now.

Regarding the editors, no other magic happening then. The name of the macro container-contributors seem to imply there is a different variable to access the “container editors”, which could be the book editors in the case of a chapter, but I don’t think there is any magic expected, right?

I am just asking because in the case of Papers, the chapter and the book are 2 different items, but in this case, I likely need to make sure my CSL translation layer returns the editors of the book, if none abvailable for the chapter. I wanted to make sure I was not missing anything.

Thanks!

Charles

Regarding the editors, no other magic happening then. The name of the macro container-contributors seem to imply there is a different variable to access the “container editors”, which could be the book editors in the case of a chapter, but I don’t think there is any magic expected, right?

correct.

I am just asking because in the case of Papers, the chapter and the book are 2 different items, but in this case, I likely need to make sure my CSL translation layer returns the editors of the book, if none abvailable for the chapter. I wanted to make sure I was not missing anything.

that’s exactly right, yes.>